Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Poinsettias


If any of you kept you Poinsettias from last Christmas, here's some info I found on how to get them to turn red again. Last year after mine turned green, I just put it outside on the back porch and it did fine. Now, we'll see if I can restore it's color.


- Starting October 1, the plants must be kept in complete darkness for 14 continuous hours each night. Accomplish this by moving the plants to a totally dark room, or by covering them overnight with a large box. During October, November and early December, poinsettias require 6 - 8 hours of bright sunlight daily, with night temperatures between 60 - 70° F. Temperatures outside of this range could also delay flowering. Continue the normal watering and fertilizer program. Carefully following this regime for 8 to 10 weeks should result in a colorful display of blooms for the holiday season! -
http://www.fernlea.com/xmas/poininfo.htm

Yeah, I know. It sounds like a lot of work, but I've never tried it, so I'm gonna give it a shot.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Wow! I didn't know you could make them red again. HOw cool.