Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A walk through my garden

Well, I've pretty much given up on planting in my yard. I'm just sticking with the few things that will grow for me. The only new thing that I planted this year were the bluebonnets two weeks ago, and so far, so good. Otherwise I have stuck to a few potted plants - my new lemon tree, my tomato bush, and an odd little plant called Fuchsia. I was very happy to see a few of my old plants return to bloom this spring.

Note: I don't mean to bore you, but I want to keep a record of my plants, so I can compare next year. So here goes.....

Indian Hawthorn - bloommed for a few weeks in March - done now
Azalia - bloomed for a few weeks in March- done now
Old Lemon tree with barely any leaves on it (R) - that I only got 2 lemons from in 3 years and am bitter about (lol) - and new lovely blooming Lemon tree (L), oh, and Harley of course!
Tiny little lemons on the new one - we'll see if they grow into anything, seeing as this is the wrong season for them to be popping up. I've been keeping an eye on the big one on the right and it's grown a little. Not much happening with the rest.
Strange thing that grows out of my aloe vera plants every year. It appears that I have 2 different kinds of aloe plants and only one kind gets this thing. It grows several feet tall, then eventually dies and I pull it off. Very strange!
Poison Ivy! - We get lots of this! - Aren't we lucky? - Don't be jealous!
My funny little Fuchsia plant I got 2 weeks ago is currently blooming on my porch. I spotted this in the Walmart plant area and it struck my fancy. I thought I'd give it a try.
. I like the little flowers on it.


Bluebonnets - I've had bluebonnets in this spot the past 2 years, but last year I planted some strange hybrid that made red bluebonnets. Lisa says I can't call them bluebonnets, if they are red - she takes her Texas State Flower very seriously! (lol) So, awhile after I planted them, I found out that you can't put the blues and reds together because they kill each other out. I guess because of the hybrid thing. And sure enough, this year neither came back. So, I'm started over this year and will now be staying away from those red ones - should have listened to Lisa!
--
Two weeks ago - still blooming!

Society Garlic - bought late last year, because as I mentioned in a post last year, the yard guy cut all mine down awhile back. The new ones started blooming a few weeks ago - still going strong!
My beloved Walking Iris! - These are my favorite of my garden flowers. I started them from some plants that I pulled from my mom's garden in New Orleans. They multiply pretty easily and my hope is that they will one day fill a large portion of my side garden.

This was last week - I got a cute little bud!
And this is today! So lovely! I think it looks like a cross between an Iris and an Orchid.
And last, but not least....my new tomato bush. I've had it about 4 weeks now, I believe and it is doing very well so far.
--
The progression of my maters!
March 31st
A few weeks ago
One week ago
Today! - Looky, looky what I got! I pulled the left one Monday and the right one today. I was so worried a bird or something would get to them this weekend while we were out of town, so I brought the bush inside. I put it back outside today so more would ripen.

So pretty! It's ashame I'm gonna hafta eat cha!
Back to work little tomato bush - momma wants a tasty salad!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Mmmm, those tomatoes look good!