Monday, April 6, 2009

Bitsy

Thursday, April 2nd:
Bitsy came to join us. She is a one year old Chiweenie (Chihuahua and Dachshund) that I found through a local rescue group. We are fostering her and considering adoption. Her coloring is called dapple, and she has one brown eye and one blue eye, which often occurs with dapples.
-
Friday, April 3rd:
We were informed ahead of time that Bitsy has issues with biting. It's not mean biting, it is excited, playful biting, like with a puppy. But still unacceptable, so I've started working with her. I was also told that she won't let you touch her feet, and will bite you if you do. So, today I decided to try to teach her to "shake" (touching her paw to my hand). She totally surprised me, and learned it really fast. She gets a treat for "shaking", associates touching her paws with something good, and now doesn't bite when I touch them. Yay! She also learned to "sit" and sometimes gets "lay down"! She's a smart girl!
-
One of the times I was working with her today, Harley was there with us. And I was cracking up, because the whole time I was saying commands to Bitsy, Harley was doing them all and trying to get treats. It was so funny! And the best part was sometimes when I was trying to get her to lay down, Harley would do it and she would look over at him and drop to the ground as if she was saying "Oh, ok, is this what we're supposed to be doing?" Hilarious! I finally had to put Harley in his crate, so I could get her to focus on me.

No comments: